Tuesday 10 June 2014

The new listening room, the new life

Ok so first off, an apology. For various difficult, personal reasons any attempt at creative writing, documenting what I've been up to or any findings about the world of music or hifi have been impossible.

Must....do....better!

One of the more recent and happy outcomes though is a complete house move to a dilapidated mansion in the English countryside. Could it be any more gentlemanly? I even have pigs in my orchard.

The house, however, is a doer-upper, which means a potential money pit, although my wife and I feel fairly strongly that we've carefully budgeted and it holds no real nasty surprises. The pic below is of the new listening room, minus any furniture and in the cold light of February just before we moved in. The house was a pit and needed a deep clean from a team of four for two days before we dared move our furniture - including the hifi - in.

Those cream curtains have been removed, cleaned and redistributed elsewhere, leaving plenty of room for the Duos in what is, unfortunately, a very live and resonant space. It will be carpeted eventually. For now, I have sounds that I can mostly enjoy, even if I'm sat in another, cosier room (we have no central heating and thank God it's June and much warmer).

I was in Munich for the Hi-End show and I'll blog about that soon.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to thank you for your efforts at the podcast and the blog. I came across the podcast about a week and a half ago and have thoroughly enjoyed it. You and your fellow GAs were entertaining and have helped to renew my interest in hi fi. Learning about the Usher amplifier in GA Barry's room and subsequent internet research has me considering a go at a diy Nelson Pass design amplifier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why thanks Josh - that's really nice of you. I promise I will try and update some more... promise!

    ReplyDelete